First Full-Frame Mirrorless Cameras powered by Panasonic
- Panasonic has developed two Mirrorless camera models with a 35 mm full-frame image sensor for the first time
- The S1R and the S1 cameras are the world’s first*1 to support 4K 60p/50p video recording
- Utilising Leica Camera’s L-Mount allows for the use of alternative lenses that meet the L-Mount specifications of the partners
25th September 2018 – Panasonic has announced the development of two Mirrorless camera models with a 35 mm full-frame image sensor: the S1R and the S1. Equipped with the world’s first*1 4K 60p/50p video recording function and a Dual I.S. image stabilisation system, these cameras form the new LUMIX S Series due for global release in early 2019.
Panasonic will also expand its line-up of LUMIX S Series compatible lenses, developing more than ten by 2020, including a 50mm/F1.4 prime lens, 24-105mm standard zoom lens, and 70-200mm telephoto zoom lens.
The key features of the newly developed S1R and S1 cameras are as follows:
- Newly-developed 35 mm full-frame image sensor and image processing engine (Effective pixels: approximately 47M for the S1R and 24M for the S1)
- World’s first*1 support for 4K 60p/50p video recording in a full-frame Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera
- World’s first*1 full- frame camera equipped with Dual I.S. image stabilisation enabling handheld shots for dark or distant scenes that would previously have required additional equipment
- A double slot for XQD memory cards and SD memory cards: a first for Panasonic
- A rugged triaxial tilt LCD: emphasising ease of use and supporting professional photography and videography
- Utilising Leica Camera’s L-Mount, making it possible to use alternative lenses that meet the L-Mount specifications of partners*4 Leica Camera and Sigma, increasing options for alternative lenses
Designed to incorporate an entire array of Panasonic technology refined over a century in the consumer electronics business and ten years developing Mirrorless cameras, the new S1R and S1 models will retain essential user-friendliness and robustness as tools for photography or videography by professionals.
For the existing LUMIX G series of Micro Four Thirds Mirrorless cameras, Panasonic will begin developing a Leica DG VARIO-SUMMILUX 10-25mm F1.7 lens that will achieve the world’s first*5 zoom with a constant aperture value of F1.7. In addition, support services for professional photographers and videographers will be available in selected European markets and the United States this year.
The GH5, G9, and GH5s high-end Mirrorless cameras that Panasonic has released since 2017 have already gained a solid reputation among professionals and high-level amateurs across the world for the quality of their pictures and ability to capture the vitality and beauty of life. This success is thanks to Panasonic’s world’s-first*6 support for 4K 60p/50p video recording, and the world’s fastest autofocus*7 function using the company’s proprietary DFD technology.
Panasonic will continue to reach the professional market through the introduction of the full-frame LUMIX S series and the greater reach of its support system, as well as continuing to support the Lumix G Micro Four Thirds System.
The products in development in this release will be exhibited at Photokina 2018*8
*1. World’s first support for 4K 60p/50p recording in a full-frame Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera. Regarding the inclusion of the Dual I.S. image stabilisation system, this is for a full-frame Digital Interchangeable Lens System Camera: As of September 25, 2018 when announced at Photokina (Germany), according to Panasonic data.
*2. For a Digital Interchangeable Lens System Camera: As of September 12, 2008, according to Panasonic data.
*3. The GH4 Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera capable of 4K video (as a Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera, as of February 7, 2014), and the GX8 Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera with Dual I.S. onboard (as a Digital Interchangeable Lens System Camera, as of July 16, 2015) according to Panasonic data.
*4. “The L-Mount Alliance: a strategic cooperation between Leica Camera, Panasonic and SIGMA”(announced on September 25, 2018 in Germany.
*5. For an interchangeable lens for use with a Digital Interchangeable Lens System Camera. As of September 25, 2018 when announced in Germany, according to Panasonic data.
*6. As a Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera. As of January 4, 2017, according to Panasonic data.
*7. For a Digital Interchangeable Lens System Camera. As of November 8, 2017, according to Panasonic data.
*8. Photokina is a leading exhibition for the photographic and imaging industries (held in 2018 from September 26 to September 29, at the Koelnmesse in Cologne, Germany).
• Leica is a registered trademark of Leica Microsystems IR GmbH.
• SUMMILUX and L-Mount are registered trademarks of Leica Camera AG.
LUMIX is the photographic brand of the Panasonic Corporation. Established in 2001, LUMIX launched the world’s first Mirrorless interchangeable lens camera in 2008. With the launch of the GH5, LUMIX was propelled into the professional market, a position that was further cement with the subsequent launches of the LUMIX G9 and GH5s.
Panasonic Corporation is a worldwide leader in the development of diverse electronics technologies and solutions for customers in the consumer electronics, housing, automotive, and B2B businesses. Celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2018, the company has expanded globally and now operates 591 subsidiaries and 88 associated companies worldwide, recording consolidated net sales of Euro 61.4 billion for the year ended March 31, 2018. Committed to pursuing new value through innovation across divisional lines, the company uses its technologies to create a better life and a better world for its customers. To learn more about Panasonic: http://www.panasonic.com/global.