This fine church must have been something quite special before Proctor and Gamble built their factory right next to it. They also adopted it, totally renovated it and keep it in fine order to this day. The churchyard is a nature reserve supporting a surprising amount of wildlife. St Clement's dates back to pre conquest times and is one of only a handful of churches to have a circular tower serving as the nave. During its long history this was replaced with the now more common square structure. The site is surrounded by an industrial landscape which includes the Lakeside Shopping Centre.
1 8 Comments 1220 Views