Inspired by Adam Pretty’s fantastic series for Panasonic’s Olympic Games celebration I thought we might have a motion blur theme for this competition. Obviously Mr Pretty is a seasoned professional, and had quite a team behind him, so I’m not suggesting we all hire Olympic athletes and a big studio, but we can all adopt a longer-than-usual shutter speed to investigate the effects of motion in our pictures.
For this contest I’d like to see streaks, trails, blurred outlines and sweeping patterns, and I don’t mind where you shoot them or what it is that is blurring. Your subject can be anything that moves either across the frame or within the frame, but taking a leaf from Adam’s book you’ll note that a dark background can work well when there is light on the subject.
You’ll need a long shutter speed for this, and either a tripod to hold the camera still or a waving motion of the hand to move the camera in dramatic fashion during the exposure. Practice with different shutter speeds to see what works best and don’t be afraid to shoot plenty of variations to get a result you like – there are no points for getting it right first time.
Adam used lights strapped to the subject and exposures of between 1/2sec and 4 seconds to get the effects he was looking for, and combined his blurred effects with a burst of flash to pick out the subject. Where the light trails are in front of the subject he used 1st curtain flash synchronisation, and where the trails are behind the subject he used second curtain flash – all Lumix models with a hotshoe offer these options if you fancy giving it a try. Set your exposure mode to Manual and select a shutter speed you think will work. These techniques work well indoors as well as outside, when the flash is powerful enough to show up against the background.
The other shots here use a camera on a tripod to capture the motion of people in the street. As they move from one leg to the other they bob up and down to create wavy blur lines, rather than the level lines of traffic at night. Anything that moves will make a suitable subject for this theme.
You have until the end of October for this one, so there’s plenty of time to give it some thought and to get practicing.
Manfrotto NX camera shoulder bag II
The winner of this contest will receive a fabulous kit bag from Manfrotto. The NX Camera Shoulder Bag ll is designed for small systems and will hold a Lumix G9 with a couple of lenses in its main compartment, while the zip-up rear compartment can hold your other tat – a camera manual, train timetable or spare memory cards perhaps.
The top flap has a zip that runs all the way around leaving the zippers on the side of the bag near your body, making it hard for naughty people to get into it while you are carrying it. It’s a neat cool grey colour too, and is compact enough that it won’t get heavy or stand out.
For more information see the Manfrotto website.
- The Competition (“The Lumix G Experience Photo Challenge”) is open to residents of the UK and Republic of Ireland (ROI) aged 18 years or over, excluding employees and their immediate families (defined as parents, siblings, children & spouse regardless of where they live) of Panasonic U.K. Limited (“Promoter”), its affiliated companies, their agents or anyone professionally connected with this promotion.
- To enter, submit one picture representing the current theme of the challenge. Only one picture per user is allowed for this competition. The competitor who submits the best picture will be awarded a Manfrotto NX camera shoulder bag II. There will be no prizes awarded for 2nd or 3rd runners up.
- The picture should be submitted between 11 September and 31st October 2019 through the Photo Challenge section of the Lumix G Experience website: https://www.lumixgexperience.panasonic.co.uk/competitions/photo-challenge
- Winners will be selected by a third party chosen Panasonic agency with an independent promotional verification service, from all valid entries received by 31st October 2019.
- Winners will be notified by phone or email using the information supplied at time of entry within 7 days of the end of the competition.
- At no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws when taking pictures. In particular do not provide to us images of any individual without obtaining their prior consent for us to publish and process their images.
- By participation in this promotion you confirm that you have the ownership rights in the pictures and do grant Panasonic a royalty-free, non-exclusive license to publish and otherwise use the material in any way that we want, and in any media worldwide.
- Prizes are not transferable and unless outlined in these terms and conditions of Promotion there are no cash alternatives available.
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances the Promoter reserves the right to offer alternative prizes of equal or greater value.
- Please allow up to 28 days for delivery of the prize. Prizes will be delivered to UK and ROI addresses only.
- Promoter reserves the right to request proof of age and identity of winners.
- By entering the Promotion entrants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by the rules and Terms and Conditions of Promotion. All entry instructions form part of these Terms and Conditions of Promotion.
- Any breach of these Terms and Conditions of Promotion may invalidate an entry and/or result in a forfeit of the prize.
- Winners agree to participate in any reasonable publicity arranged by the Promoter or its agencies.
- The Promoter or its agencies accept no responsibility for entries lost, damaged, corrupted, delayed or otherwise not received for any reason, whether any such failure is within the control of the Promoter or its agencies. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt of receipt.
- The Promoter or its agencies accept no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by an entrant as a result of entering this Promotion or accepting or not accepting any of the prizes. However nothing shall exclude the liability of Promoter for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence.
- Promoter’s decision is final in all matters relating to this Promotion and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Your personal data which you provide to us will be used only to facilitate the Competition.
- Promoter is Panasonic UK, a branch of Panasonic Marketing Europe GmbH, Maxis 2, Western Road, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RT
- Please do not send entries to this address.