We rarely see silhouettes with our eyes in normal daily life, but when we see one in a picture we know immediately what we are looking at. Silhouettes are exciting, and when everything falls into place we can tell almost as much about the subject as we could were it lit. What I like about them so much is that they are the ordinary shown in an extraordinary way – and that gets the viewer’s attention.
Silhouettes are easy enough to create – all you need is a good bit of tonal contrast between the subject and its background. If the subject is unlit and the background is bright you have the beginnings of a recipe for success.
Next you need the subject to have an interesting shape – a shape that demonstrates action, motion or which gives away something that we can’t clearly see. A person with an interesting hat works well, for example, or big hair – or anything that is recognisable from its outline. Then expose for the background so the unlit subject becomes nice and dark. It doesn’t need to be black to work, as a good bit of tonal separation is all that’s really needed.
Let’s see some exciting shots made with all your imagination in action.
You have until mid-night on the 21st July – so get thinking and practicing.
The winner this time will receive a Lowepro Hardside CS 60 rugged carry case designed for small cameras and lenses. It’s tough EVA FormShell exterior protects the contents of the case from knocks and bumps, and is small enough to drop into another bag to keep your precious kit away from sharp edges and hard items.
The interior measures 11x6x19.5cm, so it will hold a Lumix GX9, for example, or a collection of Micro Four Lenses, while an additional compartment can be used to store accessories, batteries and spare memory cards.
For more information on this case and others see the Lowepro website.
- The Competition (“The Lumix G Experience Photo Challenge”) is open to residents of the UK and Republic of Ireland (ROI) aged 18 years or over, excluding employees and their immediate families (defined as parents, siblings, children & spouse regardless of where they live) of Panasonic U.K. Limited (“Promoter”), its affiliated companies, their agents or anyone professionally connected with this promotion.
- To enter, submit one picture representing the current theme of the challenge. Only one picture per user is allowed for this competition. The competitor who submits the best picture will be awarded a Lowepro Hardside CS60. There will be no prizes awarded for 2nd or 3rd runners up.
- The picture should be submitted between 5th June and 21st July 2019 through the Photo Challenge section of the Lumix G Experience website: https://www.lumixgexperience.panasonic.co.uk/competitions/photo-challenge
- Winners will be selected by a third party chosen Panasonic agency with an independent promotional verification service, from all valid entries received by 21st July 2019.
- Winners will be notified by phone or email using the information supplied at time of entry within 7 days of the end of the competition.
- At no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws when taking pictures. In particular do not provide to us images of any individual without obtaining their prior consent for us to publish and process their images.
- By participation in this promotion you confirm that you have the ownership rights in the pictures and do grant Panasonic a royalty-free, non-exclusive license to publish and otherwise use the material in any way that we want, and in any media worldwide.
- Prizes are not transferable and unless outlined in these terms and conditions of Promotion there are no cash alternatives available.
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances the Promoter reserves the right to offer alternative prizes of equal or greater value.
- Please allow up to 28 days for delivery of the prize. Prizes will be delivered to UK and ROI addresses only.
- Promoter reserves the right to request proof of age and identity of winners.
- By entering the Promotion entrants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by the rules and Terms and Conditions of Promotion. All entry instructions form part of these Terms and Conditions of Promotion.
- Any breach of these Terms and Conditions of Promotion may invalidate an entry and/or result in a forfeit of the prize.
- Winners agree to participate in any reasonable publicity arranged by the Promoter or its agencies.
- The Promoter or its agencies accept no responsibility for entries lost, damaged, corrupted, delayed or otherwise not received for any reason, whether any such failure is within the control of the Promoter or its agencies. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt of receipt.
- The Promoter or its agencies accept no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by an entrant as a result of entering this Promotion or accepting or not accepting any of the prizes. However nothing shall exclude the liability of Promoter for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence.
- Promoter’s decision is final in all matters relating to this Promotion and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Your personal data which you provide to us will be used only to facilitate the Competition.
- Promoter is Panasonic UK, a branch of Panasonic Marketing Europe GmbH, Maxis 2, Western Road, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RT
- Please do not send entries to this address.