I’m a pretty big fan of shadows. I like that they are there one moment and then gone the next. Outside in the world they are constantly on the move, so we have to chase them as they slink across the pavement and up the wall. What makes them especially interesting for me is that they are always at least one step away from reality. They aren’t ‘things’ as such, but they represent things, give us an impression of things and distort those things by stretching their shape like a pulled piece of gum.
Shadows are abstract, but the best ones are recognisable – either as a reflection of the solid matter that causes them, or as something completely new in its own right. When a shadow takes on the form of something else it is like a visual joke, something to make us look twice and make us smile.
For this competition I want you to go shadow hunting. You’ll need to take your shadow-spotting state of mind with you otherwise you’ll behave like a normal person and not even notice them. Study those shadows (though not for too long – they have no patience) and make the most of them. Make the shadow your subject and give it plenty of love and attention. Expose a bit dark if you need to so that we can feel its full depth, and make it stand out from its background.
If you use Photo Styles, Landscape will help to deepen the dark bits, as will Vivid. Use your Highlights/Shadows controls as well to add extra weight.
So, show me your pictures of shadows, or pictures in which shadows play a key role in the composition. Look hard and open your eyes and mind. You never know, it might well change the way you see forever.
You have until Sunday May 12th, so get busy.
Manfrotto NX camera shoulder bag II
The winner of this contest will receive a fabulous kit bag from Manfrotto. The NX Camera Shoulder Bag ll is designed for small systems and will hold a Lumix G9 with a couple of lenses in its main compartment, while the zip-up rear compartment can hold your other tat – a camera manual, train timetable or spare memory cards perhaps.
The top flap has a zip that runs all the way around leaving the zippers on the side of the bag near your body, making it hard for naughty people to get into it while you are carrying it. It’s a neat cool grey colour too, and is compact enough that it won’t get heavy or stand out.
For more information see the Manfrotto website.
- The Competition (“The Lumix G Experience Photo Challenge”) is open to residents of the UK and Republic of Ireland (ROI) aged 18 years or over, excluding employees and their immediate families (defined as parents, siblings, children & spouse regardless of where they live) of Panasonic U.K. Limited (“Promoter”), its affiliated companies, their agents or anyone professionally connected with this promotion.
- To enter, submit one picture representing the current theme of the challenge. Only one picture per user is allowed for this competition. The competitor who submits the best picture will be awarded a Manfrotto NX camera shoulder bag II. There will be no prizes awarded for 2nd or 3rd runners up.
- The picture should be submitted between 11th April and 12th May 2019 through the Photo Challenge section of the Lumix G Experience website: https://www.lumixgexperience.panasonic.co.uk/competitions/photo-challenge
- Winners will be selected by a third party chosen Panasonic agency with an independent promotional verification service, from all valid entries received by 7th April 2019.
- Winners will be notified by phone or email using the information supplied at time of entry within 7 days of the end of the competition.
- At no time should you endanger yourself or others, take any unnecessary risks or infringe any laws when taking pictures. In particular do not provide to us images of any individual without obtaining their prior consent for us to publish and process their images.
- By participation in this promotion you confirm that you have the ownership rights in the pictures and do grant Panasonic a royalty-free, non-exclusive license to publish and otherwise use the material in any way that we want, and in any media worldwide.
- Prizes are not transferable and unless outlined in these terms and conditions of Promotion there are no cash alternatives available.
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances the Promoter reserves the right to offer alternative prizes of equal or greater value.
- Please allow up to 28 days for delivery of the prize. Prizes will be delivered to UK and ROI addresses only.
- Promoter reserves the right to request proof of age and identity of winners.
- By entering the Promotion entrants will be deemed to have accepted and be bound by the rules and Terms and Conditions of Promotion. All entry instructions form part of these Terms and Conditions of Promotion.
- Any breach of these Terms and Conditions of Promotion may invalidate an entry and/or result in a forfeit of the prize.
- Winners agree to participate in any reasonable publicity arranged by the Promoter or its agencies.
- The Promoter or its agencies accept no responsibility for entries lost, damaged, corrupted, delayed or otherwise not received for any reason, whether any such failure is within the control of the Promoter or its agencies. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt of receipt.
- The Promoter or its agencies accept no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by an entrant as a result of entering this Promotion or accepting or not accepting any of the prizes. However nothing shall exclude the liability of Promoter for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence.
- Promoter’s decision is final in all matters relating to this Promotion and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Your personal data which you provide to us will be used only to facilitate the Competition.
- Promoter is Panasonic UK, a branch of Panasonic Marketing Europe GmbH, Maxis 2, Western Road, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RT
- Please do not send entries to this address.